CSCA 2020 Convention - Call for Papers - Health Communication Interest Group
Health Communication Interest Group
Submission DEADLINE: October 11, 2019 11:59 p.m. CST
Call for Papers and Panels
Central States Communication Association (CSCA)
Annual Convention at Chicago O'Hare, Loews Hotel (Rosemont, IL)
April 14-19, 2020
Borders & Breakthroughs
The Health Communication Interest Group invites submissions of competitive papers and panels to be considered for programming at the Central States Communication Association (CSCA) conference, April 14-19, 2020 in Chicago, Illinois.
Our interest group focuses on helping key publics better grasp, appreciate, use, and articulate health communication research, practice, and teaching. Health communication scholars also monitor and evaluate the efficacy of community-based, communication-driven, and health-related applications. The interest group is dedicated to engaging in interdisciplinary collaboration to develop curricular innovations centering on health communication. Thus, scholarship, community outreach, and pedagogy comprise our mission.
We welcome submissions on all topics which advance our mission, especially those that address the conference theme, “Borders & Breakthroughs.” We invite papers and panels that examine borders and breakthroughs and the implications of those concepts within the health care context.
We strongly encourage submissions that address contemporary health opportunities and threats, invite cross-unit participation and collaboration, and create new opportunities and experiences for conference attendees. We enthusiastically encourage and prefer submissions from students and panel submissions that include panelists from multiple institutions.
The CSCA Health Communication Interest Group’s Facebook group is an excellent forum to share ideas and solicit panelists: www.facebook.com/groups/137783146424405/
The Health Communication Division offers three awards: top paper, top student paper, and top panel.
- A Competitive Paper must be submitted electronically using the online system located on the CSCA website: www.csca-net.org .
- Papers must include a title page and brief abstract (150 words or less). Author names and any identifying information must be removed from papers prior to submission.
- Graduate and undergraduate students should type “STUDENT” on the upper right-hand corner of the title page. If the paper will be a student debut, please type “DEBUT STUDENT” on the upper right- hand corner of the title page. To be considered a student debut paper, (1) the author must be a graduate or undergraduate student, (2) the paper must have single authorship, and (3) the paper must be the author’s first paper to be presented at CSCA. Please note whether the author is an undergraduate or graduate student.
- Only completed papers conforming to current APA standards will be accepted.
- Papers may not exceed 25 pages, excluding title, abstract, references, and appendices. Papers exceeding the maximum page limit will not be considered for review.
- Individuals may submit no more than one lead-authored paper.
Discussion and Paper Panels:
- Discussion and paper panels must be submitted electronically using the online system located on the CSCA website: www.csca-net.org .
- Panel submissions must include the following: (a) title, (b) description (75 words or less), (c) rationale (75 words or less), and (d) a complete list of participants along with their institutional affiliations, contact information, and CSCA membership status. Panels should also include titles and brief abstracts (150 words or less) for each paper or explanation of each participant’s purpose/perspective.
Format: All papers and panel proposals must be submitted electronically using Microsoft Word.
Documents sent using any other format will be returned to the sender.
Technology: All media requests must be made at the time of submission. Please only request media if it is absolutely essential to your presentation, as media requests will be closely examined before approval. Laptop computers will not be made available for presentations.
Deadline: Submissions must be received by 11:59 p.m. (CST) Friday, October 11, 2019. An email acknowledging the receipt of paper and panel proposals will be sent following each submission.
Submission: Submissions for CSCA 2020 will begin August 1, 2019. You will find a link to the AI submission system at: https://www.csca-net.org/aws/CSCA/pt/sp/callforpapers