CSCA 2024 - Communication Theory Interest Group (CTIG) ...Call for Submissions
Communication Theory Interest Group
Submission DEADLINE: 11:59 PM, CDT, October 7, 2023.
COMMUNICATION THEORY INTEREST GROUP (CTIG)
Call for Papers and Panels
Central States Communication Association (CSCA)
Annual Convention-Grand Rapids, MI
April 2 – 7, 2024
Incoherent: Failures, and Forgotten Messages
The Communication Theory Interest Group (CTIG) invites submissions for the 2024 CSCA convention which will be held on April 2-7 in Grand Rapids, MI. CTIG understands communication theory in a very broad sense. If your paper uses communication theory, it is eligible for acceptance. Therefore, our interest group welcomes a range of topics and contexts. CTIG focuses on the development, comparison, extension, criticism, teaching, learning, empirical support for theory, and application of theory in communication research. We welcome a variety of formats including competitive papers and panels (e.g., paper panels, discussion panels, roundtable discussions/debates).
We especially encourage members to address issues related to the convention theme of Incoherent: Failures and Forgotten Messages and invite submissions that relate across interest groups. Our annual conference provides us an opportunity to pause, reflect, connect, and reconnect with each other and with what inspired us to choose these lives we lead. In terms of panels, preference will be given to those with presenters representing multiple institutions rather than a single institution. Graduate and undergraduate student submissions are greatly encouraged.
The CTIG presents two awards with cash prizes and Awardees will be recognized during the CTIG Business Meeting.
- Em Griffin Top Paper Award
- Top Student Paper Award.
General Guidelines for Submission
- All submissions must conform to the most current APA standards.
- Graduate and undergraduate students should type “STUDENT” on the upper right-hand corner of the title page. Student authored papers do not include those co-authored with faculty members.
- If the paper will be a student debut, please type “DEBUT STUDENT” on the upper-right hand corner of the title page.
- To be considered a student debut paper,
- the author must be a graduate or undergraduate student,
- the paper must have single authorship, and
- the paper must be the author’s first paper to be presented at CSCA. Indicate if author(s) are CSCA members.
- If you would like your paper to be considered for the Inclusive Scholarship Award, type “INCLUSIVE SCHOLARSHIP” in the upper right-hand corner of the title page.
- To be considered as an exemplar of inclusive scholarship, the paper must demonstrate academic rigor in the examination of communication and historically marginalized communities/populations.
- Additionally, make sure to select the Equity and Inclusion Scholarship option in submitting
Papers: For the completed papers, include paper title, abstract, and main manuscript. Author names and any identifying information must be removed prior to submission. These papers will be considered for awards.
Extended Abstracts: For the papers in progress, include paper title and extended abstract in the maximum of 5 pages, including references, figures, and tables. Author names and any identifying information must be removed prior to submission. These papers will not be considered for awards.
Panels: Discussion and paper panel submissions must include the following: (a) title, (b) description (75 words or less), (c) rationale (75 words or less), and (d) a complete list of participants along with their institutional affiliations, contact information (address, e-mail, and telephone), and if they are CSCA members. Paper panels should also include titles and brief abstracts (100 words or less) for each paper. We are encouraging interactive panels that foster dialogue between presenters and audience.
Notes and Reminders
- All technology requests must be made at the time of submission.
- Submissions must be received by 11:59 PM, CDT, October 7, 2023.
- You will find a link to the AI submission system at: https://www.csca-net.org/aws/CSCA/pt/sp/callforpapers
- If you have any questions please contact Interest Group program planner, Hocheol Yang at [firstname.lastname@example.org]